Signs to look out for with your horse.
It is very important to pay close attention to the actions and behaviors of your horse. If ignored, it could lead to permanent damage and pain.
- Refuses to jump.
- Hard to turn or steer.
- Head tilt to outside.
- Tail to one side.
- Disunited movement (ie, canter).
- Hard to do lead changes.
How do I know if I am interfering with my horse's movement?
- Your horse is not picking up the correct lead.
- He does not give you what you ask. We have to remember that the horses will usually give you what you ask for. You have to make sure you are asking for what you want correctly.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you cross your legs? If so, this causes the pelvis to tilt with one seat bone ahead of the other.
- Do you have stiffness in one hip? You may be asking late (ie, lead changes).
- Do you have pain on one side of your body? Your body position is incorrect.
We as riders are 60% of the problem!