Dr. Sloat’s helpful hints to make it through the cold and flu season
There are also many herbs that are helpful during this time of the year. These are the ones that I have personally used and recommended to my family and patients. I have also included some must haves for homeopathic remedies. The homeopathic remedies I keep on hand are Belladonna for flushed red face and fever, Nux Vomica for nausea, Ipecac for vomiting, Aconite for dizziness that comes on suddenly, Arnica for pain and swelling.
Herbs that I keep for flu season or viruses
- Astragalus – Astragalus is used to protect and support the immune system. Astragalus helps to prevent colds and upper respiratory infections as well. Astragalus contains antioxidants to help protect our cells from damage. Astragalus boosts the immune system. It also helps protect your body in larger crowds.
- Elderberry – Boosts immune system, and stimulates the circulation causing sweating to effectively cleanse the body.
- Ginger – Prevents and decreases the duration of the common cold. It contains antiviral and antibacterial properties that are great for calming down nausea.
- Lemon balm antiviral – Makes a great tasting tea to relieve upset stomach and has incredible calming effects (not safe in pregnancy).
- Olive leaf is antiviral used to treat the flu, common cold and herpes (not safe during
- Oregano – Fights off viruses and bacteria. It is known as a powerful defender.
The above is a list of some of the many useful herbs. I RECOMMEND THAT YOU ONLY USE TWO AT A TIME. Most come with instructions for proper dosages. Start with the lowest dose first. For example, if a bottle says 15-30 drops, I would start with 5 drops. Everyone is different and it is always safer to start with a small dose.
At this time of the year, it is important to maintain a strict hand washing routine.
Make sure to increase your water intake now that we have our furnaces turned on. The furnace air will dry out your nose especially the mucous membranes and then you can become more prone to infection.
Take a probiotic everyday during the phase of sickness. I usually increase the dosage to maximum three times daily. The probiotic contains the “good bacteria” that helps you fight off viruses.
I have to warn you about sugar intake. The reality is that sugar (refined or natural) feeds the bacteria and viruses by lowering you immune system making you the perfect candidate for being sick.
Prevention is the key:
I personally take echinacea drops (5 per day for 5 days and then none for two days).
When I start to getting that tickle in my nose or throat I use oil leaf (1 teaspoon) and oil of oregano (5
drops twice per day), lots of water, no sugar, and schedule an earlier than usual bedtime.
I have used Coldfx and I find it works well. Follow the directions on the bottle.
Viruses are always mutating or changing; so I have found that changing the herb mixtures occasionally also helps in preventing the viruses to becoming immune to a treatment regiment.
An important fact about oil of oregano, it will kill everything in the gut, even the good bacteria. When you decided to use oil of oregano, it is very important to take a probiotic. Remember not to take oil of oregano and a good probiotic at the same time.